I have finally finished A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. The story didn’t drag on, but it had sufficient details. For me, the most difficult part of the book was chapter 29 - Jefferson’s Diary. The the lack of proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure made extremely difficult to read and comprehend. My predictions were correct, Wiggins helped Jefferson become a man and Jefferson helped Wiggins understand his life better. Jefferson changed from calling himself an “old hog”(83) to being the “strongest man”(253) in the execution room. A few universal themes in the book include “live the life you have” and “live today like it is your last.” These themes are portrayed throughout the novel. Jefferson is on death row and he must make the most of the little amount of time he has left. Wiggins does not like where he is at in life, but he must strive to make the most of his life each day. These themes can apply to everyone because we must make the most of where we are to live to our full potential. Because of the universal themes, A Lesson Before Dying is a story we can all learn from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Carey. I hope you have a great rest of the summer.
ReplyDelete